What is the most important thing to do before problem solving? Gain perspective. The only way to gain perspective is to ask a lot of questions. It’s one of the rules we emphasize with boards and leadership teams prior to facilitating strategic planning sessions for credit unions. Before throwing ideas out, you must gain perspective on your credit union’s growth strategies. Before your next credit union strategic planning event, use our free Strategy on Speed videos to spark conversation and gain perspective. Address the list of 10 questions below. 1
- Do your goals still make sense? Chances are, you set goals in your last strategic planning prior to the topsy-turvy reality of 2020. Are your credit union’s goals still relevant?
- Is your leadership team all rowing in the same direction? If there is confusion around your goals and strategy, it’s hard for everyone to do their part to accomplish the goals.
- What three things do you hope will remain consistent over the next 12 months?
- What three things do you hope you can change over the next 12 months?
- Are there windows of opportunity your credit union needs to take advantage of quickly?
- What action could be taken within a week to produce the greatest good in the shortest time?
- What is the biggest problem within your credit union that most people know but no one talks about?
- Have any solutions created new problems as bad or worse than the original problem?
- How much does the board and top leadership know about how the credit union really operates at the lower levels?
- What are the most dangerous assumptions you’ve made in the last six months or are making now?
Sometimes the right question at the wrong time is met with indifference due to a perceived lack of urgency or just plain fear of having a tough conversation. Focusing on credit union strategy with your board and leadership team has never been more important than right now. The rapid changes and unknowns require tough conversations, and many credit unions to rethink their strategy, and even their organization as a whole. Need perspective? Is it time for a fresh approach to strategic planning? Our unique time-tested process will facilitate tough yet prosperous conversations that yield great results. Those aren’t our words; those are the words of our credit union clients. Check out our free Strategy on Speed videos or fill out the form below to download our free e-book as an additional resource to prepare for your next strategic planning event.